Seven years after I got married, and while my husband was out of State on a golfing trip, I thought it was time to give his bedroom set from before we were married, an updated look. I didn’t want to paint it, for I couldn’t make up my mind on the color, and I didn’t want to shock my husband too much upon his return.
So, I opted to stain the drawer fronts and change the hardware. I think the hardest part was getting the drawers out…they were tough little buggers!
After sanding off the poly on the drawer fronts and wiping off the sawdust, I used some stain that I had on hand, and with a rag, rubbed on the darker color.
It was love at first sight! I loved the 2 tones and with the new hardware, it transformed the whole look. I let the first coat dry for several hours and applied the 2nd coat, then brushed on a matte poly.
Since the previous pulls were a size that was difficult to find, I chose to use 2 small round knobs in place of a pull, and really liked the look.
After tackling the dresser, I did the high boy chest, and the 2 night stands. I still have to figure out what to do with the bed headboard and footboard, but that will be another day. I’m just glad my husband liked the results of the dressers when he returned. 🙂 To receive posts via email click HERE Subscribe in a reader or sign up in subscription box in sidebar.